Friday, July 10, 2009

Nutritional Data site is Awesome

Recently, I've been eating a lot of blueberries because they are in season right now (from what I've been reading, seasonal eating is more sustainable and is often healthier because the nutritional value of the food is better)... Anyway, I was curious about nutritional value of raw v. frozen blueberries and stumbled on this nutritional data site that I LOVE. It has great data displayed in an organized and beautiful way. I'm telling you - the site is addictive and fun.

Yesterday I had a smoothie with organic green tea (1 c), lime juice (1/4 c) and organic raw blueberries (1.5 c). The nutritional value of my smoothie is pretty good, all things considered. I got many of my necessary minerals (notably potassium, magnesium, and manganese), all of my vitamin C reqs, some significant vitamin K, decent fiber, some omega 3s, quite a few antioxidants, no fat. :) Overall, I'm feeling pretty happy about it.

I can definitely say that in the past month of dietary changes, I'm feeling better physically and mentally. I still need to add more exercise to my overall regimen - but I'm quite happy about my progress...

2 comments:

  1. B, you're the awesomest! Your smoothie sounds like a must try. Do you make your green tea and chill it?
    :)
    ~julz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Blue Fruit Batman! I just did that comparison of raw vs. frozen blueberries and was stunned to see that raw provides 24% vitamin C and frozen takes it all the way down to 6%!

    ReplyDelete