Tuesday, September 8, 2009

starting 4-week detox program (sorta)

I ran across a detox book on sale and it looked helpful so I picked it up. One thing I really liked about it was that it provided practical tips as well as general information about detoxing / de-stressing.  In particular, I was happy to see a four-week menu plan with recipes.  I'll be amending some of the menu items and recipes to fit my needs and food preferences (hence the "sorta" note in the subject line), but it was very helpful overall to at least start my game plan.

Today, for instance, I had a fruit mueseli for breakfast:
  • 1 cup diced fresh organic apples (helps eliminate heavy metals)
  • 1/2 cup dried organic cranberries (helps cleans kidneys)
  • 1/2 cup dried organic Turkish apricots (good mineral source plus iron)
  • 1/2 cup oats, seeds, and some nuts (fiber and protein)
 For lunch, I went with flax crackers with hummus, mixed greens, and tomatos (protein, antioxidants, lycopene...)

Dinner was a tasty affair as well:
  • 1 cup lightly steamed asparagus (cleanses liver/kidneys)
  • 2 cups yellow and red tomatos (antioxidants)
  • 2 oz of smoked salmon (omega 3s)
  • a sprinkling of goat cheese (less cholesterol, more calcium, protein, vitamin A, phosphorus, vitamin K, thiamin, and niacin  - plus it's tasty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment