Sunday, September 13, 2009

Crazy Cycling and Roasted Veggies!

Still detoxing...  eating plenty of all that stuff that is supposed to help - including more veggies and grains plus things like garlic, etc.


Saturday, I went crazy on the bicycle.  Normally, I ride 12-14 miles or so at a fairly decent pace - some hills, but not much to speak of (sorta).  LOL.   Yesterday, I upped the ride to 20 miles and it turns out that extra 8 miles was all hills. What was I thinking???   To top it off,  at mile 14, Gary challenged me to a race and we sprinted for 3 miles at about 35-40mph.  The last 3 miles were a bit less crazy but I was totally beat and famished afterward.  So, fixed a yummy meal of steamed veggies with chicken and rice and then did nothing for the rest of afternoon. 

Sunday, we did a recovery ride for 50 minutes - just gentle riding to work out the kinks.  For a reward, I cooked some roasted veggies with a 7 grain concoction.  It turned out pretty good.

Marinade Mix
  • 5 tablespoons (more or less) of olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 3 cloves mashed garlic (more or less to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds  (or, get fennel bulbs, slice and put in veggie combo in you prefer)
  • salt/pepper to taste

Veggie Combo
  • 2 Zuchini - sliced lengthwise
  • 2 Yellow squash - sliced lengthwise
  • 3 bell peppers (I used orange, yellow, and red) - seeded and sliced in nice thick chunks
  • 5 baby red potatoes (dice into 1 inch pieces and microwave for 5 minutes)
  • 3 shallots - whole
  • 3 tomatoes - halve and scoop out seeds 
(also as options - eggplant!!  sweet potato!)

Marinate veggies in marinade for 15-30 minutes.  Put all veggies EXCEPT tomatoes and yellow squash in a roaster pan (spread out).  Roast for 25 minutes and flip the veggies.  Add the tomatoes and yellow squash and roast 15 more minutes.  Eat and enjoy.    Serves 3-4. I plan to use my leftovers in a nice roasted veggie soup mix I'll be doing later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment