Wednesday, April 7, 2010

meat alternatives

For various reasons (health, *ecology, personal tastes), I've been on a kick to reduce my meat consumption.  Of course, since Gary would miss something meat-like in his diet, my biggest challenge was finding a good meat substitute.   Fortunately, I found something!  Gardein creates a number of tasty alternatives made with soy and grains (amaranth, quinoa, kamut, etc.)  plus some vegetable stuffs thrown in for good measure.   I've tried almost every one of their fresh and frozen products and I've been satisfied with the flavor and texture of all of them.   Yummy.


*I was especially happy to find alternatives after I saw a report that said that several of our top ecological problems were caused by feedlots (carbon emissions, contaminated water run-off, etc.).  For one report, see Meat is Murder on the Environment.

2 comments:

  1. B, I've been cutting down on the meat as well. I do have to eat meat about once a week to keep the lips from peeling, I never did quite conquer that problem, but I definitely don't eat meat like I used to. I'm excited to see if we have any of the Gardein products in town. I have tried some decent Morningstar products. Love the black bean burgers and their corn dogs. Oh, and I really like soyrizo (chorizo spiced soy) with eggs, potatos, and a whole wheat tortilla for an awesome burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...wondering were I can find Gardein...

    ReplyDelete